Thursday, December 18, 2008

What does it mean to be a soldier for CHRIST?

I decided to blog about this because of the recent happenings at the abortion clinic. For the past few months, the sidewalk counselors and I have been displaying an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the mother of Jesus, at the abortion clinic. This image has for obvious reasons been so repugnant to the clinic workers and the patients that drive into the clinic. And probably the only explanation for it is because in the image, she is pregnant, and is carrying our SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST. 

Here is a picture of how it looks at the mill:


Next to Our Lady is a graphic image. I apologize if showing this hurts you or bothers you, but it surely didn't bother the unborn baby that was saved because of this image. And I ask for prayers for that baby and that couple. The father of the baby was affected by this image and it played a huge role in choosing life for his new family. 


NOW


Below is something that Miguel wrote to me about today's happenings, (December 18). 

Our Lady of Guadalupe has become our daily companion at the abortion mill on Schuster in El Paso. We put her by the wall next to the clinic and like the mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ; she is truly larger than life! If you are driving down on Schuster from Mesa, you can see her from almost two blocks away! That image alone has made many abortion minded persons just continue on driving without even stopping at the mill. Many that do stop just stay in their cars not wanting to go inside.

This morning there was one such young lady soldier that parked her car and could not bring herself to go into the abortion clinic. After sitting there for a long while, she finally did go in with tears on her eyes. That must have been the drop that spilled the glass inside, because soon after "JOY" came out on a rampage.  (NOTE: JOY is a psuedo-name for the medical assistant at the mill - gaby)

She was not screaming this time, but was very belligerent. She mocked me every time I tried to give information to someone. She stood in front of me when someone arrived to the clinic and interrupted whatever I tried to say. I always bless the persons coming in, so JOY did the same thing, so I blessed her too. When I was praying the St. Michael prayer, she wanted to know “where is that on the bible?” but the prayers and blessings did have an effect on her. Kind of like an electric shock that sent her stumbling away and into the clinic, but after a few minutes, she kept coming out over and over.

At one time she wanted to cut down our “banner” as she calls Our Lady and kept saying that this was the last day that we displayed that “banner.” I had to put my body between JOY and Our Lady, so she wouldn’t cut her down.

I’ve learned two things today:

That the image of Our Lady continues to make a big impact on people thinking of aborting, on people working at the abortion clinics, and on people that drive by and see Our Lady day after day, after day.

That we need more men to go out to the abortion clinics to give those parents a chance to see that there are people out there who care. To give dignity to those babies close to dying this horrible and violent death. Who knows, you might even be given the chance to stand guard and become a knight in shining armor to the Mother of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

For Life!

Miguel

The proof of love is in the works. Where love exists, it works great things. But when it ceases to act, it ceases to exist. -- Pope St. Gregory the Great



After Miguel left, I also put up the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and minutes after "Joy" came out again. She was drunk, and all I could think of doing was love her. I greeted her, we shook hands, in my hand I had my St. Benedict cross, and she got a chance to shake hands with the crucifix. We chatted for a bit, I asked her what she wanted for Christmas. She said, "I want God's love." Even though we've seen crazy outbursts from her and we never know what to expect from her, I thought, "whenever someone is under the influence of alcohol, people usually tend to tell the truth and open up". We will continue praying for her conversion, because I love her, and God loves her too. And she probably hasn't realized that yet. I was afraid that she would want to do something to the image of Our Lady, so I was getting ready with my prayers, scriptures, sacramentals, to protect it and expect the worst. I was ready to literally sit on my signs, as my Irish friends taught me when the police would try to destroy their pro-life images. 

There is something that I do dream of. And maybe the angels already do this. But I hope that more men like Miguel will take a stand in El Paso. People are amazed that we're out there by ourselves. So another challenge for you is, if you're amazed we're out there by ourselves, will you join me? 


 All this made me think of what it means to be a soldier for Christ. In catechism or confirmation class we learn basic things. Everything else we have to really learn on our own. The "stories" of the lives of the saints, JESUS, are not just stories, they are real. The saints and people we considered to be "holy", were people like you and me. And God is calling us to be saints and to stand up for the TRUTH. They defended and died for the truth then. And we are called to do that as well. I think that the least we can do in our busy lives is pray for these babies that are being killed daily. The burial of the baby that was found in the water plant touched me in a very profound manner. Just like baby Andrew, dozens of humans die daily from abortion at the mills without us. We are their brothers and sisters in Christ, and they die without prayer. Mary was at the foot of the cross when JESUS died. And I'm sure she was praying her heart out. When I die, I hope you are present at my death bed praying for me! I'm sure we would all like this. 
Feel free to comment, share ideas. 
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord let his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace. 

- Gabriela

No comments: